As my school schedule winds down a bit, I’ve been trying to focus on ways to enhance the quality of sleep I’m getting each night. It’s been a difficult road to finally get to a place where I’m going to bed at a reasonable time and waking up in time for classes. I’ve made it my goal to implement the following tips to help enhance the amount and quality of sleep I’m getting!
- Reading or Journaling Before Bed. I’ve found that having the ability to unwind from a long day by reading a book for pleasure or journaling has been extremely therapeutic. Additionally, this gets my mind in a state that is relaxed and ready for sleep.
- Do Not Disturb Mode. The biggest distractor that’s been keeping me up at night is my phone. It’s easy to get lost on the internet, especially at night when your mind is wandering about anything and everything. I’ve started to turn my phone on “do not disturb mode” so I can’t hear any texts/calls/etc. and I set my phone away from my reach.
- No Caffeine. I’m not much of a coffee drinker but I’ve started implementing a no caffeine rule after dinner.
- Routine. This has been one of the hardest things to implement. Going to bed and waking up at the same time has been one of the biggest challenges in revamping my sleep schedule. Sometimes I’m ready to go to bed at 8 pm and some nights I’m up past midnight because I need to get more things done than the day allowed. This is one tip that I’m continually working for!
- Studying Outside the Bedroom. One of the most helpful changes I’ve started implementing is studying in a space that is not my room.
- Exercising Earlier in the Day! This allows me to have a boost in energy earlier in the day when I really need it rather than at night before I’m unwinding for bed.