The countdown is on. The day is fast approaching. August 20th, 2018 is my first day of veterinary school at Oklahoma State University! This is the day I’ve been waiting for my whole life. I have received lots of advice about what to do with my last few weeks of “freedom” before professional school starts, so I thought I would share that here.
- I’m NOT studying. One of the biggest pieces of advice I’ve gotten from new grads and students in their second or third year is to not hit the books the summer before classes start. Their reasoning is that if I spend all summer reading textbooks, I will be burned out by mid-semester when classes and my grades really count. Also, there is simply so much information that I could spend all summer learning about the wrong stuff!
- I’m trying really hard to RELAX. I’m naturally a Type A person, so not having something scheduled for nearly every hour of the day has been a bit of an adjustment. Instead of staying constantly busy, I’ve been trying to read more, sleep in every now and then, and just try to slow down.
- Working on diet and exercise. Over the past year, I’ve been working on eating better. I’ve been adding more fruits and veggies to my diet and less processed foods. Here recently, I have also started trying to work out on a regular, scheduled basis. I need to form good eating and exercise habits now while I have the time so that they don’t all fall apart once school starts in the fall. I enjoy yoga, bicycling, and swimming the most!
- Spending time on my hobbies. One of my favorite hobbies is sewing/quilting. I know I won’t have time for as much of this as I would like this fall, so I’m really making it a priority right now. I’m making a king size quilt for myself, and I’m making some matching wall decor that I’m going to donate to a raffle. It is all dog themed!
- Spending time with family. OSU is nearly four hours from home, so once I move and school starts, I know I will not get to spend a whole lot of time with my family. I am taking full advantage of that this summer by spending as much time with them as possible. I’ve gone swimming and spent quite a bit of time with my nieces and nephews, and my mom and I have several short trips planned together. Making more time for my family is definitely one of my biggest goals for this summer.
I know that once school starts, everything else in my life will have to take a back seat for at least a while, so I’m really trying to prioritize all those important things in my life right now. I can say that this summer has so far been pretty amazing, and I can’t wait to see what else is to come!