In the past six months, I have realized why self-care is essential to balance our busy daily lives as veterinary professionals. Self-care is more important than we think and it can make a difference in our wellbeing.
Since I have started to practice self-care, I feel less anxious, less worried, and healthier. There are many external things that I cannot control, but I can control how I react to them and how I take control of my body. I know how hard it can be to live in pandemic times and maintain a balance between professional and personal life. For that, here are some examples of how you can take care of yourself to have better days.
1. Start your day with grateful statements.
2. Listen to your favorite podcast or audiobook on your way home or to work.
3. Write a “Thank you” message to someone you appreciate.
4. Avoid skipping meals and make your lunch ahead of time.
5. Eat healthy snacks whenever you can. Some of my favorite snacks are trail mix, apples with peanut butter, and protein shakes.
6. Take your dog to their favorite spot and tell him how much you love him.
7. Sign up for online yoga or meditation classes.
8. Go for a walk or run for at least 5-10 minutes.
9. Do a facial at home on your day off to make your skin glow.
10. Write down your negative thoughts or concerns.
11. Make realistic goals for each day.
12. Go to sleep early one night a week.
Let’s prioritize self-care and provide the best care for our furry friends and their owners.