For a profession so active and fast moving as veterinary medicine, vet school is not so much of the same, at least in first year. I would say of the nine months I spent on PEI, 90% was in either a chair or my bed. The other 10% was the rare event when it was nice enough to go outside and walk between classes, or the occasional interactive lab. I’m not a big gym person; I prefer to exercise by accomplishing things, not running or biking in place. As a result, things have become a little flabby and pants don’t fit as nicely.
However, it is now summer and I have a great job to restore things back to normal! I’m working at an equine clinic in the barn, which means I’ve been cleaning stalls, grooming, turning out horses, hauling water buckets, and working on various other assorted activities. Add a little bit of sunshine, and I have the perfect way to slim down that winter blubber from vet school on a cold island. I also jumped right back into riding, something I did only twice during my time in vet school (VERY sad). I’ve ridden more this week than I did during nine months.
Needless to say, as a result of my first week back in action, I hurt quite a lot. I’m using muscles I forgot existed. The only muscles I’ve needed for a while were my hands for writing and whatever muscles in my stomach and neck to keep my body in the upright position. Note to self, please find a good outdoor activity and motivate myself to go to the gym during the school year so this doesn’t happen again!