While many people love working in the medical field, it is not as easy or simple as most people would think. As veterinarians, there are many duties and responsibilities that we have to our patients. Since lives are at stake, it is our responsibility to always be at the top of our game and to put forth our best effort and make the best possible decisions for our patients’ health. But all of us are human, and everyone makes mistakes at one point or another. As medical professionals, mistakes made in the hospital setting can often have dramatic consequences.
During my first-ever spay lab, one such mistake was almost made. As we were getting ready to sedate our dog, one of our school technicians delivered the sedative to us. The day before the lab, my friends and I had calculated how much of each sedative we would need for our dog, so that we could have the technicians prepare everything for us. On surgery day, my friend mixed all of the sedatives together into one syringe, which you would commonly do. Just as my friend was about to give the combination, my friend realized that something wasn’t right. Looking around the room, we could see that every other group’s mixtures had a yellowish tinge. Ours was clear and had no tinge at all.
We brought it to the attention of the technicians and they realized what had occurred. They accidentally gave us two syringes filled with one of the other sedatives we were going to use in another lab. Thankfully, we were very attentive and not afraid to question things when we aren’t sure if it is right.